Friday, February 17, 2012

Yesterday I was asked what I was advocating beyond caucus attendance, when I ask for response to the Washington Post article about the Republican National Committee considering elimination of the neighborhood caucus in the selection of Presidential delegates in the few states that still use the system. (See my previous post, hope you'll comment as requested in yellow highlight.)


Here is the answer I just sent her:

I just woke with your question on my mind, Andrea,

Seems to me our representative system of self government works best when there is friendly competition between neighbors, both major political parties trying to outdo the other in community building, and from that there is the best chance that everything else will get worked out to the benefit of all.

I just read this, and it sums up what I'm advocating for from my friends in both major parties, as together we all build our community: "There are obstacles in the path of community life, and they have to be fought against. For example, that sort of "gossip" that creates bewilderment and prejudices, that extinguishes trust, that does not "speak well" (bene dicere) about others. Before speaking or criticizing, we must ask ourselves about the basis, the usefulness and worth of our words. All murmuring, all harmful speech must be avoided. We have to insist on what unites us, on the work of our group, on our aims, on mutual trust. ...It is in community that we live united, of one heart and mind." Prior General, Fra Ángel M. Ruiz Garnica

No comments: